Friday 13 April 2012

A million possibilities...

I'm writing a blog post about the grand national, so before some of  you may kick off; ,  I realise that writing about the Grand national may raise issues for some people. Before you all tell me that 1. I'm not legally old enough to bet, and 2. the race raises various animal rights issues I'd like to explain that ever since I can remember I've chosen a horse every April, and that my Granddad has placed a bet on it. My Granddad unfortunately died in June last year, and therefore as a rather fitting tribute to the man that always had about 10 blue betting pens in all his coat pockets, I will continue to pick a horse for as long as the race runs.


I'm basically using the Grand national as excuse to proclaim my adoration for the underdog, and love for the outsider. While others see the race as a chance to make some money (don't get me wrong, when I was about 10 I won 18 pound and bought a new outfit from peacocks, classy I know) I like the idea of placing a bet on a particular horse for rather frivolous reasons. And yes do I mean that I've often decided where my money goes on the colour and pattern of the jockey's jacket. But really, I love to look at the odds, and then pay no attention to the ones that are supposed to win. Obviously the odds are helpful and there to give you a good idea of the ones most likely to win but I hate the idea of automatically ruling things out due to there previous performances.

Okay, so lets talk bigger then horse terms now. The idea of deciding who or what is best due to varying factors is alright on some terms, but what I dislike is the notion of then ignoring everything that seemingly has lower potential. Surely everyone is equal and that belief is the real key? as opposed certain skills or talents. I get some people are naturally better at some things then others, but should we be really stopping people placing support in others, because they've been shown in the past not to be the most amazing? I believe we can become better through the support and belief of others, and that we'll only really win in life if people embrace the underdog. So my horse might be postmaster, at 150-1, just because, nobody thinks its likely to win and therefore I want to choose it. Call it a desire to be different if you want, but really, I just love the idea of choosing the one shunned for having the least potential.

 I'm on a mission to embrace the outsider with open arms, because you never know there true potential with a little bit of belief behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment