Tuesday 7 February 2012

Here comes the sun, little darling.


Don’t worry, I do have access to a thermometer and know that right now, the sun seems very far away. This was in fact made extremely obviously to me when I spent the first Saturday of the month trailing around town, cold and wet, with a miserable expression glued to my face. But I decided to deem the classic song as the title of my post due to the fact that while I half heartedly traipsed around the city centre looking less attractive than a dog who’d just participated in its annual bath, a busker did his best to cheer all us windswept onlookers up just a little.

This photo quite simply illustrates what I’m starting to desire. Its not a full blown consuming need just yet, but by the way things are heading, its possibly it could rapidly transform over the coming weeks. See, I want summer. You see the hints of my desperation for the season in the purchasing a Raspberry frappchino while its winter. (1. they were out of mango, 2. Rebecca got coffee)

I could not care less about spring; to me it seems a huge waste of time. The awkward months between the ice and heat where we spend our days wondering if its yet acceptable to begin so slowly deny ourselves the comfort found in thick opaque’s, or to transfer from the all weather coat into a less bulkier, and pretty much completely un waterproof jacket or blazer.  Though saying that, the weather itself does not influence my love for the season.

I love summer because it’s the only chance in the year to live. Instead of the monotonous routine we exist in for most of the year summer brings fun & freedom. The very thought of it provides my imagination with dreams of long days filled with nothing in particular. It’s the few months of the year, when plans are not needed in advance, and they happen spontaneously, almost of their own accord. Without even realising it, summer also signals new people.  For the past few years, July and August have meant so many new relationships with people I now could not imagine life without.

After finishing one set of exams, and the thought of another heading my way, I’m just wishing for time away from that pressure and stress. A time when everything seems so magical and exciting. Summer signals ice cream and denim shorts, but it also announces an electric atmosphere and plenty of fun..

Only a few months to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment