Friday 5 August 2011

FASHION & STYLE: When should you trust your instincts?

Think of the item of clothing that you've always wanted. The garment your wardrobe just appears lacking and lifeless without. I'm not talking about a current 'must have' item in these sentences so forget your Chanel bags, Chloe shirts and Celine coats, I'm appealing to you to think of the item you've never found but always wanted.

Let me take a humble leather jacket to explain my principle to you. Everyone wants one, everyone needs one. And in your head you've probably got some detailed thought up idea of your own little version that somehow the shops can't seem to provide you with, no matter how many times they bring one out, its always similar, but never quite perfect.

So when you find that item, the perfect one,  you buy it don't you? Of course you do. You've been waiting for it for all of your style seeking life. Perfect shape, style, colour and texture. Someone finally scanned your brain and decided to make your dream product. But here's were the title of the post comes into play: what do you do if you find your item while paying at the till and have little seconds to spare before its time to leave, do you buy it? can you trust your instincts?

Thats the very thought I grappled with today. I was at the front of the H&M queue in the process of buying a pair of pants when I spotted a lepoard print scarf in the boxes that are purposely designed to make you buy things at the till. (there always stocked with link rollers, socks and bobbles) Now i've wanted a lepoard print scarf for about three years. I've a really skinny one but like the leather Jacket image, its just not my perfect design. In the boxes I found one, the perfect little version i'd stored in my head. And I didn't buy it. I walked away.

Are you thinking, "BIG MISTAKE!" or contemplating and agreeing with my decision. The items are there to be grabbed and bought on impulse, but the majority of our impulse buys we regret. We see an item and are momentarily captivated by its supposed beauty and charm, then seriously regret it after parting with our cash. So when you do see your pefect item can you trust your instinct to buy it on impulse?

I did not want any fashion regrets, I did not want to leave my wardrobe lifeless and lacking forever. I'd found my lucky charm, my security blanket of a scarf finally. After a moments pause and reflection during a browse of boots I ran back to buy the scarf, my scarf. With only one left, I claimed it and bought it as quick as I possibily could. I know in the future to trust my instincts. Now to find my leather jacket...




No comments:

Post a Comment