Wednesday 21 December 2011

THIS IS MY CHRISTMAS: Beth Lawrence

For me, Christmas is the best time of year. Better than Easter, despite the amount of chocolate I get to eat, better than summer holidays (although time away in the sun in my eyes is the perfect break from school!), and even better than my own birthday! For me, Christmas is a time for sharing; whether that is time with family and friends, and your “loved ones” so they say, or sharing gifts between each other, and food around a table as opposed to the usual TV dinner you get given throughout the year. A time when families, friends, different industries, cultures, religions and nations stop and come together to celebrate the same holiday.

 Everybody celebrates differently and for different reasons, but in my eyes this is what makes it so special – what other time of year is as anticipated as Christmas Day is? And what other holiday is so widely celebrated? Even reaching out to less privileged people is addressed at Christmas time and, making a complete generalisation, it’s the time when people “do their part” by giving to charity and focusing on giving rather than receiving… even though deep down they know that what’s more important is what’s inside their stocking on that Christmas morning! But this is one of the things I love about Christmas; it’s a time for reflection and happiness and everybody coming together to love one another. Although many people may not enjoy the season for various reasons, it is the time of year when we can count our blessings, spend quality time and laughter with our families and enjoy treating one another, and showing love towards each other. A time when we can look back over the previous twelve months and be thankful for what we have, the good things that have happened, and the time we have ahead of us, yet to enjoy. So this Christmas, although I have all my presents wrapped and under the tree ready to hand out, and I have my list written and given to my parents (ahem, Santa), and although the house is decorated, and plans are being made for Christmas Eve and Day itself, the most important thing to me at this time of year is the time I spend with the people that I love and care about; may that be my family, friends or even those people that I don’t and never will know, it’s a time when I can show compassion, care and love to those around me. And I.Can’t.Wait.

Not forgetting the GLITTER.

1 comment:

  1. and there was no better way to start my Christmas than seeing some one i love like you Beth xxx

    Nathan xxx

    ReplyDelete