Wednesday 7 December 2011

THIS IS MY CHRISTMAS: Jan Underwood.


Each Christmas is much the same as any other, I hope and give thanks for the same things really, its really quite simple in my mind.

Every year Steve asks me what I want for Christmas, and every year my answer is the same, "as long as the kids are happy and healthy, then I am happy, and this is all that I need", I know it sounds too good to be true, but it is true. We still put out a carrot, mince pie and a glass of whiskey for Santa, then either me or Steve have to chew the end of the carrot to make it look authentic, think its his turn this year!

I usually lie in bed on Christmas eve, wound up like a spring, stressed out wondering if I have got enough presents for everyone, and hoping that they will like everything that they have got. I doze all night and am usually awake by 5 am waiting for someone to wake up and shout those familiar words -  "he's been".  Its usually Hannah, PJ will normally get up, but Mikie has to be dragged out of his bed protesting.
Although the boys don't believe in father Christmas anymore, they still like all the fuss and palaver and are happy to play along for Hannah's sake. There is usually a trail of sweets from their bedrooms, down the stairs to 3 piles of pressies. ( note to self: I've done this for the last 3 years, I need to think of something new this year)

I sit and watch the mayhem every Christmas day morning, and that lasts about 3 minutes. When the presents are opened, there is paper everywhere and I run round with a bin bag trying to catch it as it flies through the air, and Steve captures the whole thing on his video camera, that he convinced me that we needed, yet it only comes out of the box once a year.

I thank God for:
 - blessing me with 3 fabulous children that have seen another year out, with good health, surrounded by a family that loves them to bits.
- A wonderful husband who loves us all 
- Being able to afford to give my children what they want, when so many others go without, or get themselves into debt.

I am mindful that xmas is not a happy time for everyone, I know people for whom xmas is the saddest time of the year, this is always in my mind and I never take for granted the things that mean the most to me, PJ, Mikie and Hannah, I think that I am the luckiest person in the world all year round, not just at xmas.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your family thoughts with us Jan - sounds like christmas is lovely in your house xx

    ReplyDelete