Monday 19 December 2011

THIS IS MY CHRISTMAS: Sarah Callaghan

Christmas starts in my house with the putting up of the decorations. For me, it’s the time where you can finally get excited and feel Christmas is coming! When we decide to decorate, we get down the tree and ornaments from our attic, blast our 90’s Christmas CD, and all come together, making the house look as sparkly and colourful as possible. The general routine is me and my sister arguing over the colour scheme and running round with tinsel and glitter while mum and dad closely follow, fixing and taking down everything we have done. However, we get to spend time together and laugh, which in my eyes is what Christmas is all about. The tree and house get decorated with sentimental ornaments which bring back memories, either ones being from past places and holidays we have been lucky enough to go on, or from loved ones, past and present which remind us they are always there during Christmas time.

Christmas day is not an extravagant event in our house. It simple, but that’s how we like it. It is a day where you have no worries or chores (with exception of being forced to help with the Christmas dinner), and you just get to talk, laugh and spend time with people you love. I see this year as even more special, as it is the first year my sister has lived at university and the first time I will see her after months will be the Christmas holidays. However, Christmas day is pretty much the same every year. Yet it is something me and my family don’t become bored of, or pass by just thinking ‘another Christmas’ has come around. We make the most of it, embracing it as a time we can all come together and spend time as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment